Torc Ground Anchor - Series II - The Only Police-Approved Ground Anchor!
- Why use a ground anchor?
- Why is the Torc ground anchor special?
- How easy is it to install?
- What is the choice of fitting kits? **Videos**
- Choosing a location
- How do I know it is any good?
- Dimensions & technical details
- Fitting a ground anchor in a van or bike shed
- Professional installation?
- Can I move it once fitted?
- More photos
- Buy online
The Torc Ground Anchor really is the best rated ground anchor on the market. No other anchor has Sold Secure Gold in every category. No other anchor uses a 20mm diameter hardened steel shackle that would have to be cut twice to defeat it and with a choice of six different fitting kits to get the best fixing for concrete floor, brick wall, block wall, concrete-in, awkward situations and even van! We are the only manufacturer that has been awarded Police Preferred Specification for our ground anchors (under the ACPO Secured-by-Design scheme). All this, and it is made in Britain. This page gives more information about the Torc ground anchor including the wide choice of fitting kits for it, and more technical information about our flagship product - the Torc Series II Ground Anchor.
It does not take more than a few seconds for thieves to remove a bike, even when fitted with a disc lock or chain, unless it is chained to something. People usually ignore an alarm when it sounds. Chaining your bike to something solid and secure such as the Torc ground anchor makes it much less likely it will be stolen. The Torc ground anchor is not just suitable for motorcycles - it can be used for bicycles, cars, caravans, quad bikes, ATVs, ride-on lawnmowers and horse trailers. Virtually anything you don't want stolen!
We developed the Torc ground anchor, Series I, because we couldn't find what we wanted after an attempt was made to steal our bikes. The Series I design gained many accolades, including Security Product of the Year in 2006, but we have now replaced it with the Series II, which is tougher, easier to install, and cheaper! Despite the cheaper price, we have not compromised either the security level or our goal of supporting British engineering and we continue to manufacture in the U.K. The Torc Series II anchor offers the following features:
- It is very secure - unlike some other bolt-in ground anchors the Torc Ground Anchor uses four of the highest quality fixings, rather than relying on poor quality fixings or a single bolt. It uses a full 20mm diameter hardened steel shackle - compare with many other products that use just 12mm or even less!
- The shackle is case hardened and resists freezing, cutting and grinding attacks. It cannot be bolt-cropped.
- The shackle is a complete 'D', so a thief would have to cut it twice in order to defeat it! (This is the improved Series II design - now available and even better than the original Series II!)
- The shackle folds flat to make it harder for the thief to attack, whilst being more convenient for you to use.
- It can be fitted with DIY tools. Some ground anchors need to be concreted-in. Others require special tools to drill large holes, which you may have to hire. The Torc Ground Anchor can be fitted with a normal DIY drill.
- It has two-stage corrosion protection with a zinc phosphate pretreatment and tough powder coating finish.
- It is extremely versatile. There is no other ground anchor that comes with a choice of six different fitting kits! These are optimised for fitting to concrete floors, brick walls, block walls, vans, awkward bases/substrates and also for burying in fresh concrete. The Injection Resin or Concrete Floor kits are recommended for maximum strength, largely because concrete is stronger than brick but also because these kits use advanced chemical resin in place of expanding bolts. The resin achieves a much stronger bond with the concrete and the Injection Resin kits allow larger volumes of resin to be used to help deal with air spaces/voids in brickwork/blockwork and other awkward substrates.
- It is the only ground anchor with a fitting kit for use inside a van - if you want to secure your valuables inside your van, the Torc Ground Anchor is the ideal solution. This is excellent for race and off-road motorcycles, bicycles & quads as well as for tools and equipment in transit.
- It is Sold Secure Gold approved for all categories (Concrete Floor & Injection Resin fitting kits only; the other fitting kits have the Motorcycle Gold accreditation). This means it has been tested and approved for use with motorcycles, bicycles, ATVs, caravans and trailers, cars and for commercial & agricultural equipment and plant.
- It is Police Preferred Specification - we are the only ground anchor manufacturer with genuine Police approval and our ground anchors are suitable for credit points under the Code for Sustainable Homes initiative.
- It is large enough to take high quality large-link security chains that cannot be bolt-cropped. Many ground anchors cannot cope with these chains. Smaller chains can be bolt-cropped in seconds using tools favoured by thieves. There is sufficient space for the shackle to take two 16mm Protector (or similar) chains, or a 19mm and a 16mm chain.
- It is Made in Britain - Support British industry! - and a Registered Design.
The Torc Ground Anchor has been designed for easy DIY fit. The Torc Ground Anchor has been designed so that you can fit it in a wide range of situations using only DIY tools.
The instructions are written in a detailed, step-by-step way to guide you through the process of achieving a high-security fitting without needing exotic tools or advanced skills. There are numerous pictures and we are happy to give advice by e-mail or phone. You should generally be able to fit the Torc Ground Anchor in less than an hour.
The Torc Ground Anchor is available with a choice of six fitting kits to suit your application. No other ground anchor has the level of certification and the same choice of approved fitting kits! Each fitting kit is designed to give maximum security combined with ease of installation.
The Torc Ground Anchor is available with a choice of the following fitting kits:
- Concrete Floor (with chemical resin capsules, for good quality concrete)
- Brick Wall/Mediocre Concrete etc (with four expanding bolts/shield anchors)
- Block Wall etc (with *eight* expanding bolts/shield anchors and a large sub-plate) New!
- Awkward substrates (with injection resin, for the best fixing in mediocre concrete etc)
- Concrete-In (with steel bars and a sub-plate for burying in fresh concrete) New!
- Van and Bike Shed (with four bolts, shear nuts and load-spreading penny washers)
In each package you will get a full fitting kit and fitting instructions, together with all the relevant bolts. The concrete floor and injection resin kits include a 12mm masonry drill bit; the brick wall and block wall kits include a 16mm masonry bit. Those kits also include a length of plastic pipe to help you clean dust from the holes!
Video showing how to install the Torc ground anchor in good quality concrete using resin capsules: (This video also shows a comparison of different types of hammer drill.)
Video showing how to install the Torc ground anchor in various situations using an injection resin cartridge: (Some situations might require resin sleeves (available to order) to constrain the resin if there are extensive voids, such as hollow concrete blocks, involved.)
We also list the detailed contents of each of the fitting kits.
Customer comment: "The idea of bolts being held in by resin seemed strange to me - so I contacted a mate at Rolls Royce - he said they hold their jet engines to the floor using the same method - so fair enough, my doubts were sorted." (The Concrete Floor fitting kit uses four chemical resin capsules for maximum strength and for ease of fitting.)
You should always be very careful to choose a good position for your Torc Ground Anchor. An ideal site will:
- Be accessible to you while locking up your valuables, but difficult to access for the thief. You could place the ground anchor on the floor near a wall, or on a wall, and then chain your motorcycle in front of it. This makes it difficult for a thief to attack the ground anchor/chain/lock.
- Allow you to fit the chain to your valuables without the chain or padlock dragging on the ground. This makes it much harder for the thief to attack the chain or padlock.
- Allow you to fit the chain through the frame of your bicycle, motorcycle or ATV - fitting it through the wheel has a risk of the item being stolen minus its wheel! (See our Anti-Pinch Pin for a product that helps you to use a big chain on an item that doesn't have a large enough space to take the chain!)
- Still allow you to use other security measures, such as a motorcycle cover.
We offer detailed information on a separate page on the technical aspects of the Torc Ground Anchor Series II dimensions and manufacturing aspects.
Please refer to the photos below to see views from various angles.
There are lots of security devices on the market and it can be confusing to decide which ones are good and which ones aren't. One way of doing this is to ensure that any device you fit is tested by an independent organisation such as Sold Secure or accredited by the Police - the Torc ground anchor has both! It is the only ground anchor that is Police Preferred Specification.
The Torc anchor can cater for installation on the floor of a van, and even on suitable framing members on the van walls, inside a metal container, bike shed, etc. It is the only ground anchor with a specific fitting kit designed for installation in a van and similar situations.
Many motorbikes, bicycles and other valuable items are stolen from vans, especially near motocross and other race venues where there are often hundreds of bikes arriving in vans and on trailers. Using the Torc anchor when the bikes are not being ridden changes easy pickings for a thief into a much bigger challenge. Make life difficult for them!
Theft of commercial equipment from vans is also a major problem - lawn maintenance equipment, concrete mixers and other expensive tools are often stolen from vans left on the drive overnight, or by opportunist thieves during the daytime. Don't let them steal your valuable equipment!
The Torc anchor van fitting kit includes high tensile bolts and security shear nuts and load-spreading penny washers. It is designed for easy installation in a van or other thin-walled metal enclosure (including bike safes). The Metal Shed Shackle is also designed for use in bike safes and other metal-walled structures.
If you are unable to fit the anchor yourself because of landlord restrictions, for example, we can sometimes offer an installation service in partnership with professional fitters that are experienced with chemical resin techniques and security products. Price on application.
The Torc Ground Anchor is designed for permanent fitting, and so is really difficult to move once it has been fitted. So please, don't fit it in the wrong place!
If you have to remove it, e.g. when moving house and the new owner doesn't see the merits of having an anchor available, it can be removed by cutting it out of the concrete. This will not be a quick process but if it is done carefully, the body of the anchor can be recovered and installed at a new location. Contact us for a new fitting kit. The cleanest way to cut it out is generally with the aid of a large (9") angle grinder with a concrete-cutting disc. This is a dangerous tool and should only be used by an experienced operator.
We have recently launched the Double Doofer - a new removable ground anchor. This may be a good option for you if you know you will be moving house or needing to move a ground anchor!
Top view, before fixing in position. Ball bearings are supplied to prevent the bolts being removed (see next photo)
...Close-up of one of the four fixing bolts after installation showing the ball bearing in position in the head of the bolt. The bolts are virtually impossible to remove even without these when the chemical resin is used.
The Series II anchor has been designed to have plenty of capacity for 16mm and 19mm chains, here shown with a Protector 19mm x 1.0m long chain securing a brand new quad bike/ATV!
Here is a Torc Series II anchor shown with a Protector 16mm chain and a piece of industrial equipment. There is enough space to put a Protector 19mm and a Protector 16mm chain through the anchor at the same time! (This photo show the 16mm chain with old sleeving - the 16mm chain is now supplied with a blue sleeve)
Side view, again with a Protector 16mm chain (old sleeving - the 16mm chain is now supplied with a blue sleeve)
Series II Torc ground anchor, this time in combination with an Anti-Pinch Pin & Protector 16mm chain, all protecting a Ducati installed in Australia!
Bottom view, showing how the shackle is retained by a recess in the base plate